Resume of Richard L. Michaud
169 Sutcliffe Lane
System designer and software developer with a broad range of skills and experience in all phases of the Computer System Life Cycle, particularly in industries regulated by the FDA, NRC and EPA. Wide range of experience of industrial and manufacturing systems, and Back-end systems for multi-tiered network applications . Experienced in source code control with SourceSafe and CMS. Support & conversion of VAX/VMS Legacy systems. Experience with FMS. Experience with pre-compiled and External SQLMOD RDB/Oracle & Ingres applications. Skilled in Visual Basic and MS Access.
Recently retired. Looking for a full or part-time position in Legacy system (VAX-ALPHA) development and/or application support to supplement retirement income. Will certainly consider coming out of retirement for an interesting position.
Development and maintenance of C and COBOL Back-end software for Point of Sale systems utilizing RDB/Oracle. Conversion of COBOL to C
Modified and upgraded a C language Time-Entry and Payroll preparation system on a VAX/VMS system, interfaced to Ingres RDBMS. Applied software code control, testing & validation/verification.
Designed and performed modifications and SAP Upgrade to Legacy (VAX/VMS) Finished and Non-Finished Goods Automated Warehouse Systems in a Delaware-based FDA regulated pharmaceutical manufacturing environment. Created all technical qualification documentation.
Provided support for VMS/FORTRAN-based Non-Finished Goods Automated Warehouse System, including maintenance and enhancements.
Directed Y2K compliance testing of CRISP supervisory control systems in a Pennsylvania-based FDA regulated pharmaceutical manufacturing environment for three plants. Designed and supervised the creation of all test and qualification documentation. Organized and supervised the Operation and Performance Qualification of software upgrades.
Converted a PDP-11 MicroPower-based Multiple Reelstand Communication Concentrator to Visual Basic for an Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) delivery system for a major London Newspaper.
Upgraded a PDP-11 newsprint Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) delivery system to VAX/VMS for a major London Newspaper. Converted several hundred thousand lines of legacy C code to ANSII C. Participated in field testing and gradual switching to the upgraded system while in production.
Developed test strategies, plans and processes for a large FDA regulated manufacturing execution system. Automated the unit testing process with the use of software tools, in a manner that gained a five-fold improvement in efficiency while automatically recording the execution and results of testing for validation purposes.
Designed and developed an automated tracking system to coordinate the activities of three different companies involved in the manufacture, sale and use (tracking & reconciliation) of a new OTC medical device. Developed and led the successful execution of a system validation strategy within an aggressive project schedule.
Designed and led the implementation of a series of major functional and capacity upgrades to a legacy security system for a nuclear power plant. Managed the successful Verification and Validation (V&V) of the upgrades to meet the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's validation standards for system development life cycle, testing, safety and quality.
Analyzed an undocumented distributed control system for a batch nylon production process and built data and logic models of it. The models enabled the client to understand the structure of the system in order to be safely able to make modifications to it. The models also revealed previously unknown weaknesses in the structure and integrity of the system, including a potentially lethal interlock problem in pressure vessels.
Independent Consultant with various assignments since 11/94.
10/2007 – 11/2007
Senior software validation consultant contracted to Centocorp for Documentum upgrade
3/2006 – 9/2006
Senior consultant at Verizon Wireless Point of Sale support Center. Development and maintenance of C and COBOL Back-end software for Point of Sale systems utilizing RDB/Oracle. Conversion of COBOL to C
5/2005 – 9/2005
Employed as Senior Consultant in support of HR applications at the headquarters of a convenience store chain. Benefits & payroll HR applications have Oracle as the DB engine.
01/2001 – 01/2005 (AstraZeneca)
Software Consultant & Engineer in support of Legacy Automated Warehouse systems for a large pharmaceutical manufacturer in Delaware.
· Supported and developed upgrades for a FORTRAN-based validated VAX/VMS Automated Receiving Warehouse system for the past 4 years
· Modified and upgraded a C language Time-Entry and Payroll preparation system on a VAX/VMS system, interfaced to Ingres RDBMS.
· Designed and performed modifications and SAP Upgrade to Legacy (VAX/VMS) validated Receiving Automated Warehouse Systems in a Delaware-based FDA regulated pharmaceutical manufacturing environment. Created all technical qualification documentation.
· Modified and upgraded a validated C language Ingres RDBMS Finished goods Automated Warehouse Systems.
· Replaced a DECNET inter-processor communications link between two VMS systems with a TCP/IP link to a Windows NT server.
· Developed a Visual Basic/Access Warehouse Package Sortation reporting system.
· Maintained and managed software code control via Visual SourceSafe and CMS.
01/2000 – 01/2001 (McNeil)
Electronic Record/Signature Assessment core team member for a large pharmaceutical consumer products manufacturer in the Delaware Valley.
11/98 – 01/2000 (McNeil)
Y2K Compliance Coordinator for a large pharmaceutical consumer products manufacturer in the Delaware Valley.
· Organized Y2K compliance testing of over 40 CRISP supervisory control systems. Coordinated testing activities for 3 manufacturing plants.
· Designed templates for all Y2K test and Operation and Performance Qualification documentation, and supervised documentation development by an engineering firm.
· Coordinated and supervised Y2K compliance testing and Operation and Performance Qualification for software upgrades of 16 CRISP systems without interrupting production.
· Organized and supervised Operation and Performance Qualification of software upgrades.
11/97 - 10/98 (FMC)
Upgrade of an Automated Guided Vehicle (AGVS) Newsprint delivery system for a large London Newspaper.
· Converted several hundred thousand lines of Legacy C code to ANSII standard C, and corrected many source code errors uncovered by the conversion process.
· Re-designed network interface software.
· Re-design of reelstand controller software, which I created in 1987.
· Field-tested the upgrade without disturbing concurrent plant operations.
11/94 - 10/97 (McNeil)
Test Manager in a software project developing an Electronic Batch Record System (EBRS) for a large pharmaceutical consumer products manufacturer in the Delaware Valley.
· Proposed, implemented, and managed an extensive and aggressive software-testing plan designed to facilitate and support validation of the EBRS.
· Managed and conducted the testing effort.
· Developed automated unit testing methods utilizing the Cantata automated testing tool.
· Designed and implemented a semi-automatic function testing system, utilizing SQL scripts to control the application data environment.
· Developed and maintained an on-line software error reporting and tracking system
Developer of a commercial WWW application for Victory Brewing Company located in Downingtown, PA.
· Designed all html, graphics and Perl-based guest book cgi application.
· Negotiated arrangements with Internet Service Provider (ISP) on behalf of client for the establishment of the client's web site.
· Support for the site was discontinued in November, 2004
Employed by Cimtek America, New Castle, Delaware.
Senior Consultant and Software Quality Manager. Analysis, design, development and control of production software systems subject to validation by state and federal agencies such as FDA, NRC, and EPA.
· Provided in-house and on-site pre-sales support for software project and validation services.
· Provided formal analysis and a requirements and specification document for upgrading a Security System for a nuclear power station following strict NRC guidelines covering critical and safety-related systems. Provided design documentation and developed two separate software upgrades for the Security System.
· Provided leadership and direction in the development of a customized Electronic Batch Record System for a leading pharmaceutical company based in New Jersey. This product utilized the commercial Palette product, and customized code written in the C language on a VAX/VMS platform. This product also involved the use of DEC's EDCS II and RDB layered products.
· Managed and led a project for the same pharmaceutical firm which consisted of analysis and recommendations for the integration of Laboratory Data Acquisition and Management Systems for the preparation of New Drug Applications. The purpose of the project was to ensure that the systems met FDA requirements.
· Designed and implemented a Continuous Emissions Monitoring (CEMS) data collection and analysis system for a new conventional power plant, in order to meet strict state and federal permit requirements. This system was written in FORTRAN on a VAX/VMS platform, and interfaces with an emissions data collection system and a Bailey DCS used in controlling the power plant.
· Designed and implemented two separate Quality Control hardware and software systems for manufacturing and assembly reject reconciliation for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer. Platform is Windows/PC using FoxPro for Windows, and involved integrated components such as Bar Coding and remote data transmission. System is subject to FDA validation requirements.
Independent Consultant at FMC; Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Responsible for designing, implementing, and installing product software applications for Automated Guided Vehicle material handling systems (AGVS) for Newspaper and Hospital applications.
Infotron Systems; Cherry Hill, and New Jersey.
Director of Computer Applications
Responsible for strategic hardware and software planning In support of engineering and business software in a multi-VAX installation. Managed Manufacturing MRP application based on ACMS, COBOL, and DBMS32.
Bridgeport Controls TEXTRON; Horsham, Pennsylvania.
Senior Software Engineer/Manager of Computer Facility.
Borg Instruments BUNKER-RAMO, Delavan, Wisconsin.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Graduate School. Teaching/Research Assistant.
Undergraduate, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Graduated with Honors
U. S. Air Force - Honorable discharge
Education and Training
· University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - B. S. Psychology. Graduated 1972 with honors
· University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - 4+ years of graduate work in Experimental Psychology with emphasis on computerized research techniques.
· Complete series of training courses from Digital Equipment Corp. for
· Yourdon training in Structured analysis and design.
· W. Edwards Deming seminar on quality assurance.